- Distilled or bottled water from store (do NOT use tap water)
- Paper towel
- 2 clean GLASS plates (or matching GLASS containers)
- Vinyl gloves or tweezers
- Small plant pots filled with clean/new soil
- A spray bottle
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (Found cheaply at a “dollar” store)
- At no point – touch the seeds with your hands
- Pre-clean the plates with extremely hot water and dish soap
- Wear clean gloves, or have a pair of tweezers handy to place seeds
- Have a place chosen which is dark and 27c (81f) in temperature, with no wind drafts. (In our experience 27c (81f) germinates seeds in 3-4 days every time. Colder will take longer, hotter could/usually kills the seeds!
- We HIGHLY recommend gently scratching the seed’s coat with a nail file. This will allow water into the seed easier!
- Place a sheet of paper towel on plate. Make it smaller then the size of the plate.
- Using the tweezers, place the seeds on the paper towel – evenly spaced apart.
- *** TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR REPLACEMENT SEEDS – PLEASE TAKE A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTO OF THE PLATE + SEEDS NOW BEFORE YOU WET THE PAPER TOWEL. ***
- With another piece of paper towel – cover the seeds.
- Warm up 1 cup (250ml) of water in microwave to 25-30C
- Add 0.5 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to the water. (This provides extra oxygen to the water, helping to jumpstart the seed)
- Wet the paper towel and seeds entirely.
- Turn plate on its side carefully, and let all the excess water drain off for 120 seconds. At no point should the seeds be “swimming” in water!
- Cover the seeds with the second plate (creating a clam shell).
- Place in dark, 27c (81f) place and check moisture levels every 12 hours, and for signs of a tap root (germination).
- Once the seed shows germination and a small 2-3mm tap root has sprouted, remove the seed from the paper towel. *WARNING* THE TAP ROOT IS EXTREMELY FRAGILE*
- Make a small 0.5cm (max) deep hole in the soil, and with the tweezers, GENTLY place the seed’s tail downwards in the soil. Gently cover the seed with soil. (DO NOT GRAB THE TAIL WITH TWEEZERS)
- Mist a small amount of water with spray bottle to dampen soil. Ensure not to over saturate soil, you don’t want mud, or seed will drown. Just spray enough to thoroughly moisten 3/4’s of the potted soil.
- Cover pot with clear plastic cling wrap (so the soil doesn’t dry up) and move it to an area with a room temp of 20-25C (68-81f), Place pot 12-15 inches (30cms) under any cheap 9-15watt LED or CFL light.
- Do not place pot in sunshine. The seed will cook.
- When seed begins pushing through the soil, wait another 24 hours before removing plastic wrap.
- Do not at any point let the cling wrap TOUCH the seed.
- Congratulate yourself. You’ve now germinated your seeds. Now that you’ve gotten this far, make sure you don’t over water them! A light spray a few times a day is all that is needed until they really get going.
**** If your seeds still haven’t germinated after 8 days in the paper towel, there is a trick you can try that we have great success with. ** Please remember, DO NOT touch the seeds with your bare hands. Always use tweezers or sterile gloves.
- Take 1cup (250ml) of your distilled/bottled water and put it in a VERY CLEAN cup. Do not use tap water.
- Warm the water up to 25-27C (77-81f) MAX in the microwave.
- Put 1 teaspoon of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide into the water, and mix thoroughly.
- This oxygen combined with the warm water will sometimes kickstart stubborn seeds.
- Place seed in water
- Check on your seed every 8 hours to see if a tap root has emerged.
- Once a 1mm (or greater) tap root emerges, immediately remove from water and plant in soil, based on the instructions above.
*** IF BY THE END OF DAY 10 THE SEED HAS STILL NOT GERMINATED, PLEASE CONTACT US. DO NOT THROW AWAY SEEDS, AN ADDITIONAL STEP IS REQUIRED ONCE YOU CONTACT US***