****** WE NOW OFFER A FULLY ADJUSTABLE HEATED GERMINATION KIT – FOR PERFECT GERMINATION EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Materials Needed For Seed Germination:
- Distilled or bottled water from store (do NOT use tap water)
- Paper towel
- Plastic container with lid
- Vinyl gloves or tweezers
- Small plant pots filled with clean/new soil
- A spray bottle
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (Found cheaply at a “dollar” store)
- At no point – touch the seeds with your hands
- Pre-clean the plates with extremely hot water and dish soap
- Wear clean gloves, or have a pair of tweezers handy to place seeds
- Have a place chosen which is dark and 26-27c (81f) in temperature, with no wind drafts. (In our experience 26-27c (81f) germinates seeds in 48 hours every time. Colder will take longer, hotter could/usually kills the seeds!
- We HIGHLY recommend gently scratching the seed’s coat with a nail file. This will allow water into the seed easier!
- Place a sheet of paper towel on bottom of plastic container. Make it fit nicely.
- Using the tweezers, place the seeds on the paper towel – evenly spaced apart.
- With another piece of paper towel – cover the seeds.
- Warm up 0.5 cup (125ml) of water in microwave to 25-30C
- Add 0.5 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to the water. (This provides extra oxygen to the water, helping to jump start the seed)
- Wet the paper towel and seeds entirely.
- Turn plate on its side (vertically) carefully, and let all the excess water drain off for 120 seconds. At no point should the seeds be “swimming” in water!
- Make sure the seeds have little pockets of air around them – and that the paper towel is NOT fully encompassing them. (Use tweezers to adjust)
- Place lid. It is OK for container to be air tight.
- Place in dark, 26-27c (81f) location, and check for signs of a tap root every 12-24 hours (germination).
- Once the seed shows germination and a small 2-3mm tap root has sprouted, remove the seed from the paper towel using tweezers. *WARNING* THE TAP ROOT IS EXTREMELY FRAGILE*
- Make a small 0.5cm (max) deep hole in the soil, and with the tweezers, GENTLY place the seed’s tail downwards in the soil. Gently cover the seed with soil. (DO NOT GRAB THE TAIL WITH TWEEZERS)
- Mist a small amount of water with spray bottle to dampen soil. Ensure not to over saturate soil, you don’t want mud, or seed will drown. Just spray enough to moisten 3/4’s of the potted soil.
- Cover pot with clear plastic cling wrap (so the soil doesn’t dry up) and move it to an area with a room temp of 20-25C (68-81f), Place pot 12 inches (30cms) under any cheap 5-15watt LED or CFL light. Only a small amount of light is initially required.
- Do not place pot in sunshine. The seed will cook.
- When seed begins pushing through the soil, wait another 24 hours before removing plastic wrap.
- Do not let the cling wrap TOUCH the seed. It will kill it.
- Keep humidity in your growing area at 70% for first 2-3 weeks.
- Congratulate yourself. You’ve now germinated your seeds. Now that you’ve gotten this far, make sure you don’t over water them! A light spray a few times a day is all that is needed until they really get going.