We pieced together a kit that will ensure ALL your seeds germinate properly, and as fast as possible. No more waiting days. No more drowning seeds. No more wasting money on seeds that went moldy from low germination temps. This is the exact kit the whiteWIDOW team members have been using for years.
This kit does not PULSE the heat like other kits available (making the temperature go up and down). It provides a very low power (1-5 watts) of CONSTANT heat. This is the perfect amount of power to keep seeds between 23-28C for fast germination.
This kit includes:
- An adjustable heat mat
- Digital thermometer with long probe
- Seed container with multiple compartments (easily separate your strains)
The only thing you need to provide is a small box (12″ X 7″ minimum), some paper towel, hydrogen peroxide (2%) from any dollar store, bleach, and distilled water.
- Find a DARK location for your germination box where there is almost zero AIR MOVEMENT and where the temperature stays constant. Cupboards and closets work great.
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap. Cleaner is better.
- Place heat mat in box.
- Place 2 thin sheets of paper towel over top of heat mat.
- Run the electrical cord and dial to the outside of the box. Make sure the box can close and no light will get in.
- Using hot water and and a small amount of bleach – clean seed container so it is sterilized.
- Open seed container, cut/tear small pieces of paper towel that will fit inside each square in the seed container. Put paper towel in every square, even if you are not using them all. (It helps maintain humidity)
- Using clean TWEEZERS (not your fingers), put seeds in the seed container, and carefully arrange them so they are mostly centered, not touching each other, and are away from the walls of the container.
- Cute/tear more small pieces of paper towel to fit over seeds. Place over seeds.
- Mix up water: Add 1 tablespoon of 2% hydrogen peroxide to 1/8 cup DISTILLED water. (Hydrogen peroxide provides additional oxygen to the seeds and helps jump start them)
- Drizzle water over paper towel + seeds and saturate all areas of paper towel. (We recommend using a spray bottle if available)
- Put mixed water into a sealed, perfectly clean container – in case you need more later.
- Slowly turn seed container vertical and drain off ALL EXCESSIVE WATER. This will take at least 120 seconds. Ensure all extra water has drained out. The only water left should be what is in the paper towel.
- Using tweezers, adjust the paper towel covering the seeds, ensuring the seeds have little pockets of AIR around them so they can breath. DO NOT LET PAPER TOWEL FULLY ENCASE SEEDS OR THEY WILL DROWN. You are trying to create a nice warm, humid environment where they can breath. Not drown them.
- Double check to see that seeds have not moved, or are touching each other, or the sides.
- Close lid on seed container.
- Take thermometer probe and place it UNDER the seed container into one of the curved crevasses in the middle of the container.
- Place probe and seed container on top of the heat mat + paper towel.
- Ensure temperature probe is still in correct position.
- Ensure wires still allow lid of box to close for complete darkness inside box. 100% DARKNESS IS REQUIRED FOR GERMINATION.
- Turn on heating mat to LOWEST SETTING – which is right after it clicks ON.
- Place box in closet/cupboard.
- Wait 20 minutes for the temperature to stabilize. The temperature will typically read 18-23C at the lowest power setting, depending on your ambient temperature.
- The goal is to get the thermometer to read 26-27C constantly.
- Turn the dial up A TINY AMOUNT -> 1/16 of a dial turn. DO NOT MAKE LARGE CHANGES. IF YOU GO TO FAST YOU CAN KILL YOUR SEEDS BY OVERHEATING THEM.
- Wait another 15-20 minutes for temperature to stabilize. (We recommend setting a timer on your watch or phone)
- Repeat until 26-27C temperature is achieved and stable.
- If at any point you notice the temperature is 28C or greater, turn the dial down slightly, and pay close attention to the box for the next few minutes.
- Verify the temperature again in 60 minutes. Adjust if necessary.
- Check on the seeds every 12 hours. Take seed container out, and quickly hold up to a light to see if tap roots have grown. Ensure that the paper towel stays the same dampness as previously achieved when first starting the germination process. You may need to add a very small amount of water.
- At no point let the paper towel dry out or your seeds will die.
- Do not expose to large amounts of light during this entire process. Work fast!
- The seeds are considered germinated when they have a tap root “tail” 4-6mm (max) in length. Do not remove if shorter. Have patience. You will have a higher chance of success if the tap root is 4-6mm when you transfer to your soil/coir/medium.
- Place germinated seeds in final soil / coir / medium. Ensure your water is the proper PH.
- Unplug heat mat so you don’t burn your house down. 🙂 🙂
- Clean and sterilize the seed container with hot water and bleach before putting away.
- Add us to Instagram and tag us with your grow photos as you progress: https://instagram.com/whitewidow.rocks